The Ultimate Healthy Fruit Crisp
When my daughter lets me back in the kitchen (she’s been baking decadent desserts every single day while stuck at home), I make something that’s a little bit less sinful. This recipe is for fruit crisp from The Brain Warrior’s Way cookbook. It uses much less sugar and you can use any fruit you have on hand. The best part is the crisp topping. If you want to kick it up a notch put it over vanilla ice cream. Or have it for breakfast the next day!
Items & Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray,
7 apples peeled,cored, and chopped (or 6 cups of any kind of fresh or frozen fruit - I used blueberries)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
2 Tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
1/4 cup pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup almond flour (or all-purpose flour)
2 Tablespoons of almond butter (or peanut butter)
6 dates, pitted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. 2. Heat apples in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Apples will release fluid and begin to dehydrate after a couple of minutes add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, brown sugar if desired. Cook until apples are hot and soft about 15 minutes. If you’re using frozen fruit heat it until it loses its hardened, icy state.
3. Remove apples from heat and pour into the baking dish.
4. Mixed nuts, flour, almond butter, and dates in food processor and blend until well combined and chunky still.
5. Remove crumble topping from food processor and sprinkle on top of the fruit in the baking dish. Bake the crisp for 15 minutes.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to spoon small portions into dessert bowls. Serve warm or cold. Also can put it over ice cream if desired.
**I like to double, triple, or quadruple this recipe and store the extra in my freezer. When I get a hankering for something sweet, I can make this in a flash! Just need to heat fruit until it’s warm, and then throw the crumble on top, and throw it in the oven. Super fast prep!
#recipe #food #health #healthyfood #fruitcrisp #cooking #eatingclean #cookbook